Fitness STAR Model Search - NEW Judging Scoring System (OCTOBER 2012+)
At Fitness STAR International we are always looking for ways to improve the overall experience for the competitors and the audience members alike. For the past few years we have been using a scoring system that caused too many tie scores and it didn’t enable us to score competitors in a way where we could move people up levels without them placing in the top 3 of each category. That was then, this is now. We now have a new scoring system in place that will help competitors that look great move up the ranks quickly. However in some cases this new system will also make some competitors take a little longer to move up.
As International Head Judge for Fitness STAR International, I am highly invested in the product we put on stage, the competitor. I want to see people that deserve to move up levels move up regardless of making the top 3 in their category. Conversely I am not a fan of moving competitors up a level because they placed top 3 if I don’t think they physically represent that level. Every organization has competitors that make it to the highest level within that organization with out physically being able to compete at that level. I have seen National level competitors that never stepped on stage against top notch competition so they always placed and made it to the highest level only to find out that they couldn’t hold a candle to the people standing on stage beside them that had moved up against tough competition.
This new scoring system will allow those competitors that truly deserve to move up to do so, and the ones that aren’t ready to move up regardless of placing will remain at the lower level until they are ready to move up. This will ensure more equally matched competitors on stage against each other at the higher levels. This is a first in the fitness competition industry, levels have always been reached by placing in predetermined spots but Fitness STAR is now determining your level by your total score. Basically what this means is a competitor could be competing for the first time but looks amazing and gets a total overall score that could move them right up to our Fitness STAR PRO status. Imagine skipping all the other levels and going straight to PRO to compete for money the next time you step on our stage, all because the judges feel you have what it takes right now. No more waiting for show after show, competing in level after level, if you look great you are competing against the best.
How does the new scoring work? Simple, we are going to continue to follow the Fitness STAR scoring format where we score the physique in one round (70% of total score) and the marketability in another (30% of total score). We will also continue to drop the high and low scores and average out the others to keep it as fair as possible. What is different is the way we will be looking at and scoring each of those categories. We used to break down the categories differently and the numbers scored were from 1-5 plus the occasional 1-3 demerit points added. The lower the number the better the score received. Now we are scoring out of 100, the higher the number the better the score. Think of the 100 score as the perfect fitness model, perfect body, amazing stage presence, great face and smile, amazing attire, etc. This score will rarely, if ever, find its way to a judges score sheet so I have assigned scores to apply to certain levels. Scoring up to 100 will create more variety in the judges scores ensuring that much fewer ties transpire and those who rightfully deserve to WIN, place TOP 3 or even move up do.
The scores that competitors will require to move up the levels will breakdown like so:
Level 1 Fitness STAR – This level requires no score to compete but those that do compete at this level should be concerned with the score they get as it will tell them where they will be competing next time on the Fitness STAR stage.
Level 2 Fitness STAR – Competitors moving to level two will have to have a total score of 60 or higher to compete.
Level 3 Fitness STAR – Competitors moving to level three will have to have a total score of 70 or higher to compete.
Fitness STAR PRO Level – Competitors moving to the PRO level will have to have a total score of 85 or higher to compete.
Here are the areas the judges will be looking at and scoring in each round.
Swim Wear / Physique (100 total points)
Balance / Symmetry = 1-25 points
For Balance and Symmetry we are looking at your physique to see if your musculature and condition is equal left to right, front to back and top to bottom.
Conditioning = 1-25 points
Conditioning refers to your level of body fat for your category (refer to category descriptions on the Fitness STAR website to find out what body type we are looking for in your category)
Skin Tone / Condition = 1-25 points
Skin tone refers to the even colour of your skin. Ensure that when using spray tan or other tanning products your colour is even and not streaky or blotchy. The judges are also looking for imperfections like blemishes and assessing how tight or loose your skin is. Tattoos are acceptable and not effect your scoring.
Posing = 1-25 points
Posing can show you at your best or worst. If poses aren’t flattering or they are awkward looking you will be losing points so make sure you pay attention to the way you pose. This is especially applicable during the quarter-turns in the Swim Wear round (half-turns for Bikini Models) more so than any other time.
Sports Wear / Glamour Lingerie (100 total points)
WOW Factor = 1-25 points
This is the initial impression the judges get when you walk on stage. We include WOW factor as not everyone has it and we feel it’s an important part of a successful fitness and/or glamour model.
Stage Presence = 1-25 points
Stage presence refers to the way you work the stage, how comfortable you look on stage and your ability to hit flattering entertaining poses and connect with the audience. Make sure to utilize the entire T-Walk runway and strike your poses accordingly.
Attire = 1-25 points
The outfit you wear will impact you in more ways than you can imagine. Put some thought into what you wear on stage as it shows your commitment to being a competitive fitness and/or glamour model. Show the judges what you would look like modeling for a fitness fashion or lingerie company. Note that visible brands are allowed for sports wear. All lingerie should be classy and tasteful or points will be deducted.
Marketability = 1-25 points
Ultimately many athletes competing at Fitness STAR events are there to potentially become paid Fitness STAR Agency models within the fitness fashion industry. If the judges feel you will be a natural in front of the camera and a hit with our clients, you will score higher. The competitors we feel that represent the Fitness STAR brand best will score higher in this area. We will be looking at your physique, attitude, face, hair etc., as well as your overall marketability as a fitness model.
Hopefully this gives you some exciting insight into the NEW scoring system as well as how you can move through the level system to earn your Fitness STAR PRO status faster than ever before. The TOP 3 places in each category will still be awarded their Fitness STAR trophies, prize packages, achievement certifications and acknowledgement just like normal and have their photograph taken at the awards ceremony by the official runway photographer.
As usual, if you have any questions you can always send me an email and I will answer them as best I can. Please do not come up to the judges at the judging table and ask us what your total score was at the show, as we will be mentioning competitors that have moved up levels during the awards. We will be calling out the TOP 3 competitors as well as announce those competitors moving up in each category along with the scores.
We truly believe that this revolutionary and evolutionary NEW scoring system is as fair as it gets in the physique competition industry after 4 years of learning, growing and seeing first hand what does and doesn’t work at the many events we have hosted to date. We will continuously strive to raise the bar in quality and excellence progressively for the sport and realize that a non-political, unbiased and fair judging platform is the key element that a physique competition organization is built on therefore we take it very serious.
I look forward to seeing you shine on the Fitness STAR runway!
International Head Judge
Fitness STAR International
IMPORTANT Judging Criteria: (please read)
- Each Fitness STAR Model Search division will include 2 rounds of competition. Athletic Fitness Models, Muscular Fitness Model and Masters have Swim Wear and Sports Wear. Bikini Model have Swim Wear and Glamour Lingerie.
- Fitness STAR Model Search events will not have a prejudge/evening show distinction. The events will run as one performance from 2:00pm to roughly 8:00pm.
- To make your mark as a Fitness Model, you need to possess the "entire package." Judges are looking for an overall athletic appearance and a fresh “marketable” look.
- Competitors should appear healthy and vibrant with noticeable muscle tone and symmetry. Muscular Fitness Models will be more muscled and have a fuller appearance in the muscle bellies than the less-heavily muscled look of an Athletic Fitness Model or Bikini Model.
- All models must also be versatile in order to be successful in this industry. That means that they must be able to show their bodies confidently in the Swim Wear or Sports Wear (Glamour Lingerie for Bikini Models) rounds.
- All competitors' physiques and overall presentation will be evaluated in the four quarter turn positions (half turn for Bikini Models). Judges may request call outs to compare certain competitors against each other to determine the placing for that round.
- Demerit points will be allocated to a Bikini Model who is excessively muscled or whose striations within a muscle belly are overly visible. Separation between major muscle groups, however could be visible without getting demerit points.
- Demerit points will be allocated to a Muscular Fitness Model who shows any signs of drug use and/or is deemed unmarketable. It is important to remember that versatility in NATURAL Fitness Modeling depends on the breadth of audience who can identify with you.
- Although we are well aware that there is a niche market for heavily muscled individuals, it is relatively small in comparison to the general fitness arena in mass media and therefore limiting to both the model and the Fitness STAR Agency.
- The Swim Wear round is more formal in regulations than the Sport Wear round (Glamour Lingerie Round for Bikini Models). Models will be walking a runway and performing quarter or half turns in this round and the judges will be looking closely at each models physique.
- For the Swim Wear round attire pay attention to styles, cuts, colors, patterns and fits that flatter and accentuate their physique and personality. Posing suits can be custom designed with crystals or rhinestones however are not necessary. 4-6 inch high heels with clear bottoms are standard for females and males are barefoot.
- The Sport Wear or Glamour Lingerie round is more relaxed than the Swim Wear round. Models will be walking a runway and will NOT be performing half turns in this round. Models can have much more fun with this round and truly express themselves creatively, athletically and/or physically.
- Your choice of clothing for the Sport Wear round should compliment your physique. The look of the attire for this round should be something that would appear in magazines, videos, TV and/or photo-shoots for fitness fashion companies such as Nike, Titika, Under-Armour, Ice Gear, Puma, KHP, SXEFX, Crystal Suit, Ice Gear etc. Can also be for sports, MMA, boxing, yoga, the gym or just comfortable fitness fashion.
- Your choice of clothing should Glamour Lingerie compliment your physique. The look of the attire for this round should be something that would be represented in ad campaigns for companies like Victoria Secrets, La Vie en Rose, LaSenza etc. Please keep it classy and tasteful.
- Hand held props and accessories are not permitted. All props and/or accessories must be worn or attached.
- Use your personality, charisma and confidence to separate you from the rest. Be careful to not cover yourself up too much, as it is still a physique competition and the more of your body that is visible, the better.
- Models will be performing a series of quarter turns 9half turns for Bikini models) so that the judges can see the models from all angles. Models will be expected to stand with their feet together and flat on the floor. When asked to turn, they should be looking in the direction they have turned.
- Athletes musculature (size, definition as outlined in category expectations), proportions (no body part should be more developed than another) and symmetry (equal development between all muscle groups from top to bottom, left to right, and front to back) are assessed.
Runway T-Walk and Quarter Turns:
All competitors for each Level/Category will be organized via competitor number behind the backstage curtain with a choreographer to direct them as to what to do and when to do it. The Emcee will call the models out one-by-one by announcing the competitor's number, name and city they are from to invite them to the runway for their time to shine! There will be a DJ playing house, progressive trance, electro and/or hip-hop background music over a high end sound-system as the models walk the Fitness STAR runway to provide a high energy and positive environment!
Ex: "Please put your hands together and welcome competitor #110, Jane Doe from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to the Fitness STAR runway!" or "Now we'd like to invite competitor #111, Susan Smith, joining us from Miami, Florida, USA to the stage!" or "Next we have competitor #112, Lacy O'Brian flying in to compete with us all the way from Dublin, Ireland! Please welcome Lacy to the Fitness STAR runway!"
T-Walk: Once each competitor is announced to the stage individually, they will perform the "T-Walk" which will allow the model to really show their confidence, style, runway presence and walk. Each competitor's T-Walk should be around 30 to 45 seconds. They will walk towards the front of the runway (front center to the audience), pause/pose for 1-2 seconds, then walk to their left far side of the T on the runway (stage right to the audience), pause for 1-2 seconds, then walk to their far right of the T on the runway (stage left to the audience), pause/pose for 1-2 seconds, then return towards the front center of the stage, pause/pose for 1-2 seconds, and then walk to the back center of the stage in front of the curtain, pause/pose, then position themselves into the line-up of other competitors in a Front Relaxed Pose (facing forward, right leg is straight and slightly behind, left leg is slightly bent and in front, right hand is placed on hip, left arm hangs relaxed at side, keep abs tight, smile) a wait for the Fitness STAR Head Judge to call them up for the Quarter-Turn or Half-Turn Comparisons (only during the Swim Wear Round).
At each of the aforementioned points, the competitor should hold their pose for 1-2 seconds to show the judges, photographers and audience a multitude of angles. It is important to do this as well so the Official Runway Photographer gets a good shot so the chances of showing up in the Fitness STAR Magazine (http://FitnessSTARMagazine.com) and on Fitness STAR marketing materials are higher. The "T-Walk" is also being scored for each competitor in addition to the Quarter Turns or Half Turns. There will be no individualized routines and bodybuilding-style flexing/posing is discouraged in the Swim Wear Round.
Quarter Turns (Half Turns for Bikini Models): Once all competitors in that Level/Categorize are positioned at the back of the stage in the Front Relaxed Pose in groups of up to 6-8 models at one time, they are then called by the Fitness STAR Head Judge to the front of the stage in a single file leading from the competitor on the right. At the front of the T-Walk runway they will reposition themselves in the same order as they were in at the back of the stage and assume the Front Relaxed Pose again.
The Head Judge will then guide the competitors through the Quarter Turn Comparison sequence as follows:
Quarter Turn to the Right: Head facing in the same direction as the body, heels together (shoulder width for males), arms hanging relaxed along the side of the body.
Quarter Turn to the Back: Head facing the same direction as the body, heels together (shoulder width for males), arms hanging relaxed along the side of the body, tips of the fingers no further than 3 inches from the body.
Quarter Turn to the Right: Head facing the same direction as the body, heels together (shoulder width for males), arms hanging relaxed along the side of the body.
Quarter Turn to the Front: Head facing the same direction as the body, heels together (shoulder width for males), arms hanging relaxed along the side of the body, tips of the fingers no further than 3 inches from the body.
NOTE for Bikini Models: ONLY Front and Back positions are required so they will engage in Half Turns instead of the typical Quarter Turns.
The Head Judge will then allow them to return to the Front Relaxed Pose and could potentially ask a few of the competitors to switch places in the line up to compare certain models to other ones. The Head Judge might also ask them to go through the entire Quarter Turn Sequence again to ensure all of the Fitness STAR Judges are pleased.
Once completed the Head Judge will announce for the competitors to head off the Fitness STAR runway in a single file starting with the competitor on the right. The competitors will then go to the change area to prepare themselves for the Sport Wear Round after the intermission however they will only perform the T-Walk for this segment with no Quarter Turns.
The Sport Wear Round is time to have fun for the competitors and they have more freedom to express themselves and do what they like to show their personality, confidence, creativity, skills, stage presence etc. For this round the music is turned up and the crowd get right into it! Some competitors do martial arts, shadow boxing, dancing, spin kicks, the splits, flips, cartwheels, flexing etc. No hand held props or crazy theme wear aloud for this round. It's not a costume contest. It's about the individual, their body and their marketability.
NOTE: The Fitness STAR Agency Scouts and Photographers will also be present and making selections for the Fitness STAR Agency to source models for paid work catering to the Fitness Fashion Industry.
If you have any questions, feedback and/or concerns, please contact us any time at info@FitnessSTAR.com. We will gladly support you however we can to ensure you have a pleasant and memorable experience with Fitness STAR! Looking forward to seeing YOU shine on the Fitness STAR runway and potentially in the Fitness STAR Magazine (http://FitnessSTARMagazine.com)!
The Fitness STAR Team